Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chicken Tacos with Charred Tomatoes

Well, I first of all want to say I am super excited about this blog! Aaron and I have been trying to eat healthy for almost a month now, so I am definitely on the hunt for new healthy recipes!

Mmmmm....my mouth is salivating even as I get ready to post this recipe. These were sooo yummy (well...don't take my word for it...that is of course my personal opinion)! BUT The amount in the original recipe is not even enough for two people, so you would probably want to double or triple it (or more if you want leftovers....especially you Pichuras! :)) Here is the recipe tripled.

  • 4-6 plum tomatoes, cored (I used Roma...harder to char, but it worked!)
  • 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped white onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (I chop up jarred peppers)
  • 2 Tbsp. lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (I sprinkled dried flakes in there)
  • 6 scallions, chopped (about 2 bunches)
  • small corn tortillas, heated (see Tip) We used large whole wheat flour tortillas
Preparation
  1. Heat a large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add tomatoes and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until charred on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise; squeeze to discard seeds. Remove cores and chop the remaining pulp and skin.
  2. Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to the pan and heat over high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lime juice, the chicken and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and scallions. Divide the chicken mixture among tortillas. (Serve with lime wedges.)
Tips & Notes
  • Tip: Wrap tortillas in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds. (Not as long for flour tortillas...I'm assuming)
  • May want to leave out jalapenos and add them to the individual tacos (not sure if that would taste as good), as I'm sure it would be too spicy for some, especially the kiddos.

Nutrition

Per serving: 297 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 415 mg sodium; 463 mg potassium. (This is with the corn tortillas)

Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).

2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat

This recipe is from the website EatingWell.com, under healthy chicken recipes...I will defintiely be trying more from this site. Hopefully I can find some more yummy ones!

1 comment:

  1. Kim, this looks delicious! I'm going to have to add it to my next meal plan list! :)

    ReplyDelete