Saturday, May 1, 2010

(Not So) Cheesy Beans and Rice

Ok, I'm really going out on a limb and posting this one. Why do I say I'm going out on a limb? Well, because it contains NO MEAT! :) Don't worry, though, it contains both legums and a grain, so it's still a complete protein - no meat needed. I know that's everyone's main concern with a meatless dish, right? :P Anyway, it was really cheap, really filling, and really yummy (at least to me it was. James said it was ok, and gave me permission to make it once a month, or more if we ever get really poor). :)

I got the recipe from AllRecipes. Here's the recipe as written:

  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided

Directions

  1. Cook rice according to package directions. Transfer to a bowl; add the beans. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat.
  2. In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, layer a third of the rice mixture, cheese and tomato mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining rice mixture and tomato mixture.
  3. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
**Kimiko's Notes: I used short grain brown rice, because...well, I grew up in a Japanese home and long grain rice is just wrong. Hehe. :) (Interesting fact: my parents had to drive all over Pennsylvania before their wedding looking for short grain rice for their guests to throw as they left. My grandpa wouldn't allow long grain rice, even just for throwing. :) ). Anyway, I used olive oil instead of canola and added about 1/2 Tbsp. butter and a little less than 1 Tbsp. chicken bouillon to the water before cooking the rice just for a little extra flavor. Instead of using canned kidney beans, I used dry kidney beans - they're WAY cheaper. I threw in a few tablespoons of salsa in with the tomato mixture for more flavor (can you tell I like things with a lot of flavor?!). I also ended up using less than 1/8 cup of cheddar. In my opinion, it really doesn't need cheese, and if people want cheese, it can be added later. After it baked, I ate it plain, but James made burritos out of his, by putting it in a tortilla with cheese, lettuce, and hot sauce. This was a bit spicy. I read some reviews where people used regular diced tomatoes and added some salsa instead of using the tomatoes with diced chilies. Depending on the amount of heat in your salsa, that would probably tone it down a bit.

3 comments:

  1. Kimiko...thanks...that sounds wonderful! Trader Joe's has brown Jasmine rice that is really good...so I think I'll use that...plus, I have almost all the ingredients needed on hand...so that sounds like a great "in a pinch" standby. Do you think doubling the recipe would be enough for my clan or do I need to triple it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'm trying to think. We had enough for James and I with plenty of leftovers for another meal. James can usually eat 3 burritos for dinner, but this was filling, and he could barely finish his second one. I'm assuming that since your kids probably won't be eating a ton of it, you should be fine just doubling it. Especially if you serve it with a side salad or veggie, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am TOTALLY impressed that James ATE this meal, not to mention that he said that once a month would be OK!!! I think that Dad would have to be marooned on an island with NO other food, before he would let me make this for him!! :) It sounds good to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete